hi! I’m ANDREEA!
I’m so happy you’re here!
I am a busy mum of two, with a great passion for baking. Sourcing quality ingredients and making everything from scratch is really important to me. But also, having fun while making it. Which is why I like to take a different approach to cooking. Following a recipe to a tee is definitely not my thing. What I like to do is give it my own twist, with a bit of zest (no pun intended). I like to merge different cuisines and different styles of cooking into one spectacular dish.
The main reason why most people avoid cooking from scratch is because they get overwhelmed with all the rules that they have to follow. I am here to challenge that and to prove that cooking can be fun and easy. Sure, you can use a recipe to guide you, but at the end of the day, you will enjoy the process better if you add your own spin to it.
My cooking ethos:
These are my main values when it comes to food:
- Cooking from scratch (as much as possible). Yes, that takes time and dedication but I find that the satisfaction of feeding my family with my own creation supersedes all the downsides. I have control over the ingredients I use and I put all my love into it (aka “a pinch of zest”) which makes the dish even more delicious.
- Making healthy food. I know this is a controversial topic as what I believe to be healthy for me might not mean healthy for you. I am not here to impose my health views on anyone and I respect any difference of opinion. For me, healthy food means cooking from scratch, cooking in season and with fresh high quality ingredients. I buy organic (where possible) and from local farms, and avoid processed food. You will not find food colouring, artificial flavourings, or processed ingredients like high fructose corn syrup. I use ingredients that are close to nature as possible. Raw dairy, fresh farm eggs, unrefined sugars and organic unbleached flours as much as I can. I like to start with traditional cooking methods in mind but use a modern approach for the best results.
- Have fun baking and eating. Nothing is more healthy for me than the enjoyment of cooking and eating amazing food. Living life to its fullest is my motto.
What type of recipes you will find here:
I don’t shy away from sugar or fats, and use a lot of good quality dairy and flours. But as a rule of thumb, all the ingredients I use are natural (unprocessed), highest quality, and in season (where possible). My recipes are not for the faint of heart. I don’t follow diets or food trends. I like baking decadent desserts, rich in flavour and texture. Just like my grandma used to make.
A pinch of zest was born out of a desire to share my love for food and baking and I hope I can bring you great inspiration in your cooking journey. Have fun and enjoy your delicious new creations!
Fun facts about me
- I find baking sourdough fun (I know, I am a bit of a nutcase).
- I homeschool my children (and really enjoy it).
- I am petite (not really enjoying that one, but c’est la vie).
- I am a certified makeup artist (but I prefer spending my time in the kitchen more).
- I am a pro at roller skating (not age appropriate, but who cares).
Based in the United Kingdom